There are a multitude of resources available for Veterans to assist them in their search for employment.

North Dakota Veterans’ Preference

Wartime veterans are given preference when applying for state, county, and municipal government job openings. Contact the ND Department of Veterans’ Affairs at 1-866-634-8387 or research their website at for additional information.

Federal Veterans’ Preference

Veterans who are disabled, who served on active duty in the Armed Forces during certain specified time periods or in military campaigns are entitled to preference over others in hiring for virtually all federal government jobs. Additional information on federal veterans’ preference can be found on the Department of Labor’s Veterans Employment and Training Services website at

Translating Military Skills into Civilian Skills

Military skills can be translated into civilian skills terminology through the use of electronic tools such as the Crosswalks Search on O*NET On-Line or the Military Transition link at CareerOneStop.

Federal Jobs

USAJOBS is the official job site of the Federal Government.

Reemployment Rights

Recently separated veterans returning from tours of active duty may be eligible for reemployment rights. The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) protects civilian job rights and benefits for Veterans and members of Reserve components. Additional information can be found at

The Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR) Ombudsmen provide information, consultation, and mediation to employers and members of the National Guard and Reserve to help resolve issues between employers and their employees who serve in the National Guard or Reserve. Contact the Bismarck, ND ESGR office at 701-333-2057 for assistance.

Unemployment Benefits

Certain veterans may be eligible for unemployment insurance (UI) while looking for work following the completion of their military service.  A DD 214, Report of Separation, is required as part of the application process. Claims are filed online through our UI ICE website.

Health Benefits

You can apply for VA Veterans Health Benefits electronically by completing an Application for Health Benefits (10-10EZ Form) online. For additional information on health benefits and to find the 10-10 EZ Form, visit the VA website at or call the VA’s toll free number at 1-877-222-8387.

Health benefits information can also be obtained from your County Veterans’ Service Officer (CVSO). Find your local officer here.

Vocational Rehabilitation

If you are a veteran who has a VA disability rating and an employment handicap, you may be entitled to vocational rehabilitation & employment services under Chapter 31 of the GI Bill. These services include - but are not limited to - counseling, training, education and other services needed to prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs.


SkillBridge is an excellent opportunity as you plan for your life after the military. SkillBridge matches civilian opportunities to your job training and work experience at the end of your military duty. In addition to opportunities such as Tuition Assistance and the GI Bill program, you can enhance your marketability and career prospects by participating in a SkillBridge opportunity.

Any rank, enlisted or officer, may apply for SkillBridge. SkillBridge permits you to use up to the last 180 days of Service to train and learn with an industry partner. During SkillBridge participation you continue to receive military compensation and you are covered by your military benefits. Release for SkillBridge is always mission-dependent and your unit Commander must authorize participation prior to entering into any agreement with interested industry employment partners.

There are many industry partners with opportunities in a variety of fields, such as energy, information technology, manufacturing, retail, transportation, civil service and more. These industry partners have developed SkillBridge programs for Service members because they value your expertise, dedication and service. 

DD 214, Report of Separation

Most state and federal programs require a DD 214, Report of Separation, as evidence of military service. A copy of your DD 214 may be obtained from your County Veterans’ Service Officer (CVSO) or the ND Department of Veterans’ Affairs. A CVSO listing and contact information for the ND Department of Veterans’ Affairs may be found at

Resource Directory (National, State, and Local)

The National Resource Directory (NRD) connects wounded warriors, Service Members, Veterans, and their families with those who support them. It provides access to services and resources at the national, state and local levels to support recovery, rehabilitation and community reintegration.

Visitors can find information on a variety of topics including benefits & compensation, education & training, employment, family & caregiver support, health, homeless assistance, housing, transportation & travel and other services & resources.