In North Dakota there are a variety of assistance programs to help qualified North Dakotans meet their basic needs.
The ND Department of Human Services has a variety of assistance programs to help qualified North Dakotans meet their basic needs. These programs help many low-income families who are working toward self-sufficiency. Assistance may be available for:
- Basic Care Assistance
- Child Care Assistance
- Healthy Steps Children's Health Insurance Program
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (formerly Food Stamps)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
FirstLink assists people to identify, access, and make effective use of community and volunteer resources 24 hours a day. It’s the first link to connect people to resources.
The Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP) is a special program for unemployed low income persons age 55 or older who have poor employment prospects. SCSEP participants get annual physical examinations, personal and job-related counseling, and job training when needed.
The purpose of the SCSEP program is to:
- Foster and promote useful part-time opportunities in community service activities for eligible persons.
- Foster individual economic self-sufficiency.
- Increase the number of older persons who may enjoy the benefits of unsubsidized employment in both the public and private sectors.
In North Dakota SCSEP is a statewide program that is provided through two Federal Grants:
- Department of Human Services (DHS), Aging Services Division in conjunction with the North Dakota Senior Career Development (NDSCD) Program. Individuals 55 and older living in the following counties may apply for the NDSCD program: Bowman, Burleigh, Cass, Divide, Dunn, Grand Forks, McKenzie, Mountrail, Richland, Sargent, Stark, Steele, Traill, Ward, Williams.
- National Indian Council on Aging (NICOA) (all races can seek employment through NICOA)
- Applications for NICOA can be found at https://www.nicoa.org/programs/scsep/scsep-pre-application/
Lyle Koller, Director
1041 State Ave.
Dickinson, ND 58601
Sara Pierson, Program Manager
4265 45th St. S. Ste 111-39
Fargo, ND 58104